Because my grandparents were so young, they did so many things with us. They would play badminton on their driveway, or stay up with us on New Year's Eve. They took us to their summer place in Michigan. Whatever it was, they delighted in us, and especially so my grandmother. Grandpa had his grumpy moments, but never Grandma. The woman had a quiet strength about her. My sister, mom, and I are all strong women, but not quietly! Grandma just took care of what needed to be handled, and she never wanted anyone to have to worry about her. She was an amazing care giver to my grandfather for seven years as he battled Parkinson's, and she also helped to care for my dad and mom at various points of their illnesses. When her sister and sister-in-law, the last two of her generation besides her, passed away a week apart and people worried about her, Grandma was quick to announce "Pish, posh" and she handled things just fine. And she was always so pleased with herself when she did something she knew most people her age couldn't. I remember her strolling in to Robert's baseball game swinging her lawn chair at age 81. She was so pleased she was there.
And nothing pleased my grandma more than her family. My sister and I helped decorate their tree every year on the day after Thanksgiving, and it came down on New Year's Eve when we stayed over. Her great-grandchildren were just as enjoyed, and she loved when she could have my kids anytime, but especially over night. Catherine commented the other day about how there was ice cream at her house. I remember we visited one time, and she decided we would stay for a dinner of hot dogs, mac & cheese, fruit, and of course dessert of ice cream or cookies. Nothing made her happier.
I'll miss Grandma, but honestly, I've been missing her for over two years. The woman she has been during those two years is not at all the grandmother I knew. It started five years ago when she moved into Assisted Living, but two years ago was when the decline really changed who she was. Although, our last visit a couple of weeks ago, she still said that she "didn't require much." My response to her was that even though she didn't need anything, if there was something she wanted I was happy to get it for her.
I am so grateful that my grandma was such an integral part of my life for so, so many years. And I'm also so grateful that she has gone on and is with my grandpa and dad, and her brother and sister and so many others.
No comments:
Post a Comment